3 October 2011

Hear No Evil - Chapter 4

At Sue and Lucy's apartment, the girls had just finished the washing up after a later than usual dinner of lasagne and garlic bread, a Lucy Dotson speciality, or so Sue had been led to believe. The pasta wasn't fully cooked and Lucy had forgotten that Sue wasn't too keen on mushrooms. She had mixed them in with the meat and the sauce, meaning that Sue was unable to eat the majority of it.
After several grovelling apologies, Lucy had finally accepted that Sue hadn't minded just eating the garlic bread and that the large snacks that they'd had at the spa throughout the evening had more that quelled her appetite. After all the plates had been cleared and placed in their respective cupboards, they both sat in front of the television.
"We really need to do that more often. I could get used to this lady of leisure stuff." Lucy said as she chuckled.
"I know what you mean. I have never had so much fun doing absolutely nothing. That massage was heavenly." Sue said as she tucked her knees up underneath her and rested her arm on the back of the couch.
"I'm not surprised! Did you actually take a look at the masseuse? I tell ya, he could give Jackson a run for his money in the "wow" stakes. I think he took a liking to you too."
Sue began to blush at Lucy's comments and smiled, averting her eyes briefly. She had noticed the resemblance between him and her training agent, only someone who was blind could have missed it. They both had the same dark good looks and the killer smile, but the difference was in the eyes. Jack had eyes that could make her go weak at the knees at the slightest glance in her direction. When he looked at her, it was almost like they were looked straight into her soul. Shaking her head to remove the images that Lucy's words had conjured, she turned back to her friend.
"So, did he give you his number? Are you going to call him?" Lucy asked excitedly, grinning when she saw Sue role her eyes.
"No Lucy, he did not give me his number and even if he did, I wouldn't call him. He wasn't my type."
"Not your type!" Lucy almost shouted, "Are you blind girl? The man was drop dead gorgeous. There isn't a woman alive who wouldn't change their "type" to go out with him. I know I would." Lucy said as she laughed
"This woman wouldn't, besides, he was a little young." Sue said before she smiled "He was great looking thought wasn't he?"
The two women dissolved into a fit of giggles as Lucy reached for the remote control to turn on the television. She flicked to CNN and stopped when she saw the reporter talking about a young girl who had gone missing, feared kidnapped. It was the third kidnapping in the space of two weeks and so far, they had no leads. Seeing the report, the two women quickly stopped laughing and watched.
"Why anyone would want to kidnap someone is beyond me. That is, unless that person is Denzel Washington." Lucy said as she smiled at Sue. "Seriously though, remind me again why I work for the FBI when we have to deal with stuff like this all the time?"
Sue chuckled at her friend as she turned to face her, balancing her coffee cup in both hands.
"You work for the FBI for the same reasons I do. You want to catch the bad guys and help the good guys." Sue said.
"I guess you are right, as usual." Lucy asked as she positioned herself so she was comfy. "Have you heard from Betty since she left?" she asked Sue.
"Yes actually, I got a text from her earlier today. She arrived at her new home yesterday afternoon and she said that her new neighbours seem nice. It is going to take her time to adjust. She has just had everything she knew, everything she loved taken away from her. I don't know how she does it. Trusts people after everything that's happened to her. If that was me and I'd gone through what she's had to go through, I don't think I'd trust anyone ever again."
Lucy nodded and drained her coffee cup of the few remaining drops. Putting her cup on the coffee table, she stood.
"Right, I'm going to have a nice long bath and then I am off to bed. It's amazing how being so relaxed can make you feel so tired." She said as she smiled down at Sue.
"Okay, goodnight Luce."
Sue watched Lucy turn and head towards the bathroom. Grabbing Lucy's empty coffee mug as well as her own, she walked into the kitchen and placed them both into the sink. They can wait until morning she thought, knowing that Lucy hated leaving things overnight but she knew she would be up before her friend so she didn't see how it would matter.
Walking back into the living room, she tried to stifle a yawn and rubbed her eyes, trying to keep herself awake. Looking up, she saw the light by her laptop flashing. A puzzled look crossed her face as she walked over and sat in front of the screen. I could have sworn I switched this off. Clicking on what had caused the light to flash, a smile crept to her lips when she saw who had sent her a message. Sitting down she began to type a response.

No comments:

Post a Comment