23 October 2011

Hear No Evil - Chapter 29

“I knew her as Rosemary Prince, her maiden name.” Sue explained. “She used to attend deaf club every week without fail then one day a little over a year ago, she just stopped coming. I never did find out why. I just assumed that she had moved back home to be closer to her parents. Her dad had been really ill and her mother was having difficulty coping. Her dad is deaf and her mom hearing. I never knew that she was seeing someone and she never mentioned anything about a baby, or getting married.”
“Where was home for Rosemary Sue?”

Jack watched her as she smiled up at him and he couldn’t help but wonder what he had said to make her smile.

“Jackson, Ohio.”

Jack had to chuckle and understood the reason for her smile. He placed a hand on her shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze, surprised when her hand went up to cover his. Even though they were now together, it was still the little things like that which took him by surprise and he was sure he would never get used to it.

“One other thing. Tara, you said that Rosemary was on her way back from deaf club?” Tara nodded. “I don’t think that can be correct. The deaf club I go to is the only one in a twenty mile radius. Rosemary couldn’t……can’t drive, at least she couldn’t when I knew her, so unless she was hitchhiking, she couldn’t have been at deaf club last night.”

Smiling at her, Jack turned to Tara as she worked at her computer.

“Sue’s right Jack, the only deaf club apart from the one Sue goes to, it 35 miles from here.”

Sue watched as Jack nodded as moved too his desk. Turning, she looked at her computer screen. She hadn’t seen or heard from Rosemary for over twelve months, which at the time she thought was strange as they had been quite close at deaf club. As time went on, she thought less and less of it. She started to let her thoughts get away from her until she saw Lucy standing next to her.

“You okay?” Lucy asked.
“I’m fine Luce.” Sue said as Lucy pulled up a chair next to her.
“Good. Now you can tell me to keep my nose out but I was just wondering what Garrett wanted to see you for.”

Sue had to chuckle at her friend. She was surprised it had taken her so long to ask about the meeting she and Jack had just had with Garrett. She knew it must have been eating at her. Glancing at Jack to see him on his cell, she turned back to Lucy and sighed.

“He knows about me and Jack. Someone sent him an e-mail saying that they had seen us out on our date Saturday and asked him to “deal” with the situation.” Lucy said making quotation marks in the air.
“Did he say who sent it?”Lucy asked
“No, but whoever it is made it clear that he doesn’t agree with us breaking bureau policy.”
“I can’t believe that someone would be so underhand and send an e-mail like that. You leave it to me Sue, I shall find out who it was and give them a piece of my mind.”

Before Sue could protest Lucy was back in front of her computer and on the phone. She knew that her best friend meant well and once she put her mind to something, she didn’t stop until she got the result she was after. She had no doubt that Lucy would find out who had sent that e-mail.

oOo

Whilst the rest of the team continued researching the four women’s backgrounds and the originator of a certain e-mail, Jack and Sue had left the bullpen and were on their way to see Rosemary White’s husband, James.

Telling her that there was no point taking two cars, they had taken Jack’s. However, that wasn’t the real reason why he’d suggested it. He was concerned about her and how she was handling the case. He’d asked her several times how she was doing and each time she said she was fine, but now that she knew the latest victim, his concern had increased.

“Are you okay?” Jack asked as he glanced at her.
“I’m okay with the case but something is bothering me.” Sue answered as she turned to him, “I can’t stop thinking about who sent Garrett that e-mail. It is clear that whoever it was doesn’t agree with us seeing each other. If we put one foot wrong it could mean one or both of us moving to a new team which is the last thing that I want. Everyone on the team is like a second family to me and I wouldn’t want to lose that, or you.”

Jack sighed and smiled, reaching over to take her hand. He’d been thinking the same thing since their meeting with Garrett. The rule about inter-office dating had been in place for as long as he could remember

“I know how you feel Sue. I wouldn’t want to break up the team either. But at the same time, I don’t want to be without you in my life.”
“I feel the same Jack, I still can’t quite believe that eighteen months ago I was in Ohio living with my parents and now I’m working for the FBI, I have great friends and I have you. I never dreamed that I would meet someone like you and become so attracted to you so quickly. Having you feel the same way about me scares me a little. Most men aren’t interested when they find out I am deaf.” Sue said as she gave him a half smile.
“That doesn't matter to me Sue. It never has. It’s part of what makes you who you are, what makes you so unique and what makes you who you are.”

Jack glanced at her as he tried to keep an eye on the road. He could tell that she was second guessing her feelings, and his feelings for her. He guessed that she hadn’t had many relationships in the past and he knew that she must have been hurt when people wrote her off because of her deafness. He waited for her response.

“I know that it doesn't bother you at the moment, but maybe it will if we keep seeing each other romantically. You could get bored with watching television with closed captions, or having to get my attention whenever you want to speak with me. I don’t want my deafness to drive a wedge between us, or for it to be the cause of any resentment.

Jack sighed as he realised his thoughts had been correct. It was just like Sue to worry about other people. Instead of thinking about her own happiness, she was worried about how their relationship would affect him. He stopped the car when they arrived at their destination, unbuckled his seatbelt and turned in his seat to look at her.

“Sue, I promise you that you will never lose me as a friend and I will never resent you for anything. You have changed my life so much since you barged into the bullpen all those months ago. Seeing you and Levi intrigued me, I had to find you, to see you again. Let me put it to you another way. Have you ever seen me eat lunch in the cafeteria apart from the day I had lunch with you?”

As she looked at him, she smiled. He was correct. She hadn’t seen him in the cafeteria again since that day. The thought that he’d sought her out had crossed her mind but dismissed the thought almost immediately. When she had seen him standing there, asking if he could sit with her, she had been overcome by how handsome he actually was. Of course, she had noticed it in the bullpen earlier that day but when he sat opposite her she saw it all too clearly. Her attraction to him had been instantaneous and she remembered that she hadn’t said much during their first lunch meeting, part of her still in awe at the handsome man that sat opposite her. She had seen the other women in the cafeteria looking her way, eying up the man she sat with. To this day she didn’t understand why he had chosen to sit with her when there were so many other women sitting alone who would obviously welcome his attention.

Jack sat looking at her, he could see that she was thinking and a smile crossed her face. He guessed that she was remembering their first lunch. He had found out from personnel that she was new to the bureau. He had assumed that she wouldn’t have known the immediate area so would spend her first lunch on the premises. His thoughts had proven correct when he walked into the cafeteria and saw her sitting at a table near the window, Levi sat at her feet. She was beautiful, there was no denying it. One of the most beautiful women he had seen. He’d been struck by her beauty when he first saw her but the way the light from the window highlighted her blond hair only served to make her look even more stunning.

As he’d approached her table, he was well aware of the glances he was receiving from the other women who were seated alone or some in pairs. But at that moment, he only had eyes for the blonde sitting with her dog. When he had discovered that she was deaf, he was intrigued all the more. Sitting across from her, her beauty was evident and it almost took his breath away that he could become attracted to someone so quickly. Almost at the same time, they came back to reality and smiled at each other.

“Come one, we have a job to do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment