30 October 2011

Hear No Evil - Chapter 40

After scribbling a quick note for Sue’s parents, Jack and Sue left for the airport. Tara had sent Jack a message to let him know she had rearranged their flights and they were due to leave Ohio in a little over an hour’s time. They had packed their things and left the Thomas house, arriving back in the bullpen several hours later.

“Have we heard anything more Bobby?”Jack said as they walked in.
“It’s just been confirmed mate, the two women pulled out of the Potomac are Claire Williams and Sophie Morgan. It looks like our kidnapping has just escalated to a murder.” Bobby said as he ran his fingers through his hair.
“That’s not all Crash. All four of the women went to the same speech teacher in Ohio. They were all taught by Barbara Casey around the same time as Sue did. Ms Casey couldn’t say if the women knew each other back then, or if they did as adults.”

Sue caught the look that Bobby was giving her and knew what he was thinking. Like Jack, Bobby could be over-protective, as could all of the guys, but at that moment, she still didn’t believe she was in any danger. There was no indication she was at risk.

“I know what you are going to say Bobby but I am not going into a safe house. We still have no reason to believe that this person will come after me.” Bobby opened his mouth to speak but was cut off by Sue’s hand. “No buts Bobby, I appreciate your concern but I am staying at home with Lucy. This person is not going to scare me out of my own home.”

Sue watched as Bobby turned to Jack, obviously looking f or his best friend to agree with him. Jack looked between them before speaking.

“Sue, I understand how you feel but it is not just a kidnapper we are dealing with now. Two of these women have been killed. You can’t deny that the connections between the women also connect you. There are too many coincidences here Sue and I wouldn’t be doing my job properly if I didn’t act on my instincts. It’s not very often that I pull rank, but I’m going to now. Seeing as you won’t move into a safe house, then we shall have to bring the safe house to you. You a Lucy will be having a house guest so make your choice.”
“But Jack...”
“No buts Sue. Neither you nor Lucy is armed so if anyone did come after you, you would be a sitting duck. One of us is going to stay with you until this case is over or we know with 100% certainty that you aren’t at risk.”

Sue looked at Lucy who had the biggest grin on her face. She inwardly groaned at what she knew her friend was thinking. The obvious choice would be Jack and judging by the looks on the faces of the others, they all thought she would pick Jack too. Under normal circumstances, she would love having Jack stay at her for a few days, but seeing as this was for a case, and when she and Jack were alone all thoughts of work went out the window, she decided that Jack probably wasn’t the best option.

“Okay, fine, if I have to have someone babysit me, then I pick Tara.” Sue said as she smiled at the only female agent in the bullpen.
“Great. Okay, Tara, you can go home and pack a bag for a few nights. “Jack said to her as the petite agent grabbed her purse and left the bullpen. Jack turned to Sue, “You and I have to go and speak with the women’s parents, see if they can tell us why they took their daughter’s out of Ms Casey’s class.”

Nodding, Sue followed him out of the bullpen and waited with him for the elevator. It was a few moments before Jack spoke.

“I know you think I’m being over-protective Sue, but I can’t say that I’m not worried about you. There are too many coincidences in this case and I’ve been around long enough not to believe in coincidences. I’m not going to risk anything happening to you Sue.”
“It’s okay Jack, I know you’re only doing what you think needs to be done. Besides, it might be fun having another woman in the house. Although poor old Levi is going to feel greatly outnumbered.” Sue said as she smiled down at her faithful companion who just lay on the floor and covered his nose with his paws.

Both Jack and Sue laughed at the canine before stepping into the elevator.

No comments:

Post a Comment