23 October 2011

Hear No Evil - Chapter 27

Thirty minutes later, Sue and Lucy walked into the bullpen. As soon as she entered, Sue’s eyes were drawn to Jack’s desk and she tried to hide her disappointment that he wasn’t there. She unclipped Levi’s leash and sat down at her desk as her faithful friend he dashed off in search of his bunny. As she switched on her computer, she felt a hand on her shoulder. Smiling, she turned, hoping to see Jack but was greeted by the smiling face of his best friend.

“Jack is in with Garrett. He asked to see you too as soon as you came in.” Bobby explained.
“Did he say why?” She asked curiously.
“No, but he grabbed Jack as soon as he walked in ten minutes ago. He didn’t even have chance to take off his jacket.”

Nodding as Bobby returned to his desk, Sue placed her purse in her desk drawer and left the bullpen. Allsorts of things were running through her mind. What could be so important that Garrett wanted them as soon as they arrived? She knew it was probably something to do with the case, but if that was it, why weren’t the rest of the team here? Reaching Garrett’s office, she knocked on the door, smiling when Jack opened it and stepped aside for her to enter.

“You wanted to see me sir?” Sue said
“Yes Thomas, please take a seat.”

Sue took one of the two seats opposite Garrett’s desk as Jack took the other. Knowing their relationship was against the rules, Sue resisted the urge to look at him, knowing that the images of her dreams would return and she wouldn’t be able to hide the blush that she knew would fill her cheeks.

“Thomas, what I have to say concerns both you and Agent Hudson. I haven’t said anything to Jack as of yet because I thought it only fair that you were both here at the same time.”

She couldn’t stop herself as she looked to Jack for answers. She was getting worried about the reason they’d been called in here and she could tell by the look on Jack’s face that he was too.

“A little over an hour ago I received an e-mail from someone in this building. I am not at liberty to reveal the name at this time as I do not feel that it is relevant. I have asked you both in here to either confirm or deny the content of this e-mail and I would appreciate your honesty.”

Both Jack and Sue took the pieces of paper that Garrett handed to each of them and started to read:

Mr Garrett

As I am sure you are aware, there are rules within the bureau that prohibit inter unit dating. I feel that you should be made aware that two of the agents under your supervision have been seen out and about enjoying what can only be described as a date. The two agents concerned are Jack Hudson and Sue Thomas.

I thought that it best that I bring this matter to your attention so that you can deal with Hudson and Thomas in line with standard bureau policy. I trust you will take the appropriate action in this matter

Thank You


Sue and Jack looked at each other and then at Garrett, who was watching them both intently.

“I’m not going to deny that I haven’t seen the chemistry you two share. Personally would like nothing more than to see you two explore your feelings but as the e-mail says, it is against bureau policy for two agents in the same unit to date. Now, I trust from your silence that the e-mail is correct and you two are now dating?”

Sue turned from Garrett and looked at Jack. There was an unspoken question in his eyes and Sue knew what it was. Smiling at him, she nodded as Jack turned back to their supervisor

“Yes we are Ted.” Jack confirmed.
“I see. Can I ask how long this has been going on for?” Garrett said.
“We’ve only been dating for a couple of days, but, whilst I can’t speak for Miss Thomas, I’ve had feelings for her since the day she joined the team. It’s only been recently that I’ve had the courage to admit it, to myself and to her.”

Sue smiled at Jack’s admission and turned to Garrett.

“I feel the same way sir. And I would like to mention that, Jack and I have had feelings for one another for almost two years and it has never affected our working relationship or the way that the team performs. I’m sure that the fact we are now dating won’t change the way we work as a team, or as partners.”

“I’m counting on that Sue. Since I received the e-mail, I’ve checked into this rule and it does say that two “agents” can’t date. Thomas, as you’re not an agent, I can’t enforce the rule. However, if I find that your work or that of the team does begin to suffer I will have no hesitation in reassigning one of you to another team. Is that clear?” Garrett said.
“Yes sir.” Jack answered.
“Okay. I trust you will both be discreet when you are at work?”
“We will sir.” Sue replied.
“Good. Now I am assuming that the others on the team know?” Both Jack and Sue nodded. “Okay, well I am prepared to keep it within the unit for the time being as long as you two don’t push the limits on this. Don’t make me regret trusting you.”

Both Jack and Sue stood and turned to leave when Tara opened the door.

“Excuse me for interrupting but we have another victim.”

Glancing at Garrett who just nodded, Jack hurried after Tara with Sue close behind him. Within minutes they were all gathered together in the bullpen and Tara had provided them with the details on the latest kidnap victim.

The woman’s name is Rosemary White, thirty three years old, married just under a year, one young daughter, only six months old. Apparently, she was on her way back from deaf club when she vanished. No one has seen her since last night.”

Sue stood up from her position on Tara’s desk and walked up the screen. After a few seconds, her hand went up her to her mouth and she gasped. Lucy and Jack were immediately by her side.

“Sue, what it is? What’s wrong?” Jack asked.
“I know her. She used to attend the same deaf club that I go to.”

No comments:

Post a Comment