15 October 2011

Hear No Evil - Chapter 19

A little over an hour later, Sue and Jack were seated in their favourite Italian restaurant. They’d spent their time together laughing about past cases and generally enjoying each other’s company. As they spoke, Jack marvelled at how their relationship had changed in just a few short hours. Several times he reached out to take her hand and she hadn’t moved away. He was able to look at her as much as he wanted to without fear of being caught out.

“How was your meal sir, ma’am?” The waiter asked as he came to clear away their plates.
“Very nice, thank you.” Jack said, his eyes never leaving hers.
“Would you like dessert?” The waiter said.
“Leave us the menus and we’ll take a look.” Jack told him.
“Yes sir.”

The waiter removed their empty plates and returned a few moments later, handing them both a dessert menu. He told them he would return in a few minutes to see if they had decided. Smiling his thanks, Jack looked at his menu, peering over the top to see her concentrating hard on what sweet dish she wanted to sample. Deciding quickly what he wanted, he placed the menu down and took her hand in his yet again.

“I have a little confession to make.” Jack said, seeing her place the menu down to give him her full attention, “I never did wait until Christmas day to open that present. I opened it in the taxi on the way to the airport.” He laughed at the expression on her face. “It was just sitting there staring at me so I had no choice.”

Jack watched as she pulled her hand from his and sat back in her chair. He couldn’t read the expression on her face, and for a moment, he thought he’d upset her, but then a smile spread across her face and she took his hand again.

“So did I. In fact, you had more restraint that I did. I opened mine as soon as you’d left the bullpen. You probably hadn’t even made it to the elevator.” Sue said as she laughed before continuing. “Buying me your number was really sweet Jack. I didn’t think you had it in you.”
“Hey, I can be sweet when I want to be. It’s all part of my irresistible charm.”

Sue rolled her eyes at him and took a sip of her wine. Irresistible was one word she would use to describe him. Along with charming, handsome, kind and sensitive. He was everything that she had promised herself she would wait for. He was the man that she had fallen in love with and she knew that no one else had ever come close or no one she would meet in the future would compare to the man sitting in front of her. The man who could make her heart melt with simple smile.

She jumped slightly when she felt Jack touch her hand. She looked up to see that the waiter had returned to take their dessert order.

“I’m okay Jack. I’m still full from the main course, the food here is delicious.”

She looked up and saw the waiter smile at her compliment of their food. Jack told him that dessert wasn’t necessary and the waiter nodded his understanding and left them alone.

“Come on, let’s get you back home before Lucy sends out a search party.”
“Do we have to? I don’t want to go home just yet. It’s not late and tomorrow is Sunday. How about we go back to your place and watch a movie.” Sue suggested.
“Okay.” Jack said in agreement, “But I have to warn you, my selection of movies may not be to your liking.”
“Oh I’m sure you will have something I will like and if not, you can watch the film and I can watch you.”

Sue smiled sweetly at Jack, surprised by her own comment. Where did that one come from? Jack stood and threw several notes on table for their bill. Walking around to Sue, he held out his hand and guided her out of the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment