28 October 2011

Hear No Evil - Chapter 35

After dinner, Sue and her mother washed the dishes whilst Jack dried and Paul put them back in the cupboards. With the team effort, they were all done within five minutes and walked through to the living room.

“Jack, why don’t I show you where you’ll be sleeping tonight.”

 Sue smiled at Jack as he stood, knowing that his father wanted to speak with Jack. She inwardly cringed, guessing that Jack would be asked all sorts of questions about his intentions towards her. When her father and Jack had vanished up the stairs, Sue turned back to her mother.

 "Sit with me Sue.” Carla said as she patted the space her husband had left.

Sue hesitated slightly and then moved to sit down next to her mother. She knew what was coming. Her dad had undoubtedly told her about her and Jack and now she was going to get the lecture about waiting until she was married and making sure that Jack was the right one and didn’t take advantage of her.

“Sue, do you love Jack?” Carla asked.

Sue was a little taken aback by the question and her first reaction was to tell her to mind her own business but when she looked into her mother’s eyes, all she could see was love. There was no sarcasm, no worry or concern. It was a genuine question from a mother to her daughter. Sue nodded at her mom and smiled.

“I take it you haven’t told him yet?” She smiled when Sue shook her head. “He is a good man Sue. I have only met him twice but anyone can see that he worships you. When he looks at you, he has the same look in his eyes as your father had when we were courting.”

Sue smiled at her mother as they talked. She hadn’t seen this side to her mom too many times before and she wished she would show it more often. It was when she was like this that she liked coming home.

“I’m scared mom. I do love Jack and I know deep down that he loves me too. But I have never had these feelings before and I don’t know how to deal with them. I probably shouldn’t be saying this to you but when I am with Jack, he makes me feel things that I never thought I ever would. Jack is sweet, kind, sensitive and I know that he would do anything for me. I don’t know what it is but, am I am worthy of him?”
“Now you stop talking that way Sue.” Carla sat as he glanced towards the stairs and pointed.  “That man up there loves you and you are just as worthy of him as he is of you. Not everyone gets a chance to be with the person that they truly love and I believe that you have found that person in Jack. All you have to do it have faith. Take that leap Sue. I believe you and Jack are meant to be.”

Sue sat and looked at her mom, the tears threatening to fall again. She was surprised that her mother had reacted like this to her and Jack. She has always been very protective of her when it came to men and always gave them the third degree about their past loves, job, religious beliefs. She hadn’t done any of that with Jack and she was thankful for that.

“Thank you mom. I think I am going to go to bed. It’s been a long day and we have to meet Ms Casey at half past eight tomorrow morning.”
 “Ok sweetheart. Sweet dreams.”

No comments:

Post a Comment