29 October 2011

Hear No Evil - Chapter 36

Upstairs, Jack watched as Mr Thomas led him to one of the bedrooms that he knew had previously been occupied by one of her brothers before they moved out. When they were inside, the older man closed the door and turned to him. 
 
“Jack, you love my daughter don’t you?” Paul asked.
“Yes sir.”

Jack surprised himself by how quickly he had answered that question. He knew that he loved her but he hadn’t admitted it to anyone. Not even Sue. And now here he was telling her father how he felt. He saw Paul smile at him.

“Right answer son.” Paul said as he took a step closer.
“Paul, I have never felt about anyone they way that I feel about Sue. From the first day I met her she intrigued me. I had to know more about her. As time went on, she became my best friend. I knew that I could tell her anything and she wouldn’t judge me. I realised that I loved your daughter several months ago when I had to go into hospital after a heart scare. The thought of not having her in my life scared me more than anything. I just feel so honoured that she chose to be with me.” Jack explained, taking a deep breath when he’d finished speaking.
“Jack, every father wants his little girl to meet the proverbial white knight and live happily ever after. When I look and you and Sue, I honestly think that you two can have that. I raised my daughter to know when a man’s intentions were honourable and she obviously listened to what I told her. If this relationship goes where I think it will, you have my blessing Jack.”
Thank you Paul, that means a lot.”

Jack reached out and shook the hand of the older man, pleased that he’d been accepted into the Thomas family. As he looked at the older man, he spotted Sue climbing the stairs and couldn’t stop the smile that appeared on his lips. He saw Paul turn and see his daughter.

“I’ll let you two talk.” Paul said as he walked out onto the landing, kissing his daughter on the cheek before going down the stairs to his wife. Jack watched her as she walked towards him, a look on her face that he couldn’t decipher.
“Hey, you okay?”

Jack watched her as she walked up to him and put her arms around his neck and held him close. He was a little surprised but wrapped his arms around her and held her to him. He felt her whole body relax against him and he heard a deep sigh. After several minutes, she pulled away and Jack closed the bedroom door.

“Not that I am complaining, but what was that for?” Jack said as he smiled.
“Nothing, I just wanted you to hold me. I had a rather enlightening conversation with my mother whilst you were up here.”
“I had one with your dad too. He gave us his blessing.”
“So did mom.”
“I guess you weren’t joking when you said she took a shine to me.”

Jack winced as Sue playfully slapped him on his arm and smiled the smile that he had come to love so much. He took a step closer to her and pulled her into another hug, one that neither of them wanted to end. He could tell by the way she held him that she needed this. He breathed in her scent as they just held each other. It was the small that was uniquely her and a scent that Jack would always love and associate with her. He felt her grip on his loosen and he moved to look at her.

“Can I stay in here with you tonight Jack?” Sue asked, almost shyly.
“Of course you can, if that’s what you want?” Jack said
“It is. I just want to feel close to you tonight.”

Jack nodded as he went into her room and grabbed her bag off her old bed. He noticed that the downstairs was in darkness so figured that her parents had retired for the night too.  Returning to what would be his room while they were there, he saw her sitting on the bed.

“I shall leave this here for you to change. I shall change in the bathroom.”

Picking up his bag, he closed the door and went into the bathroom. Deciding that his usual night attire of boxer shorts would not be appropriate, he pulled out a t-shirt and jogging bottoms. He looked at himself in the mirror as he carried out his night time routine and sighed. He knew that this was going to be a test of his willpower. Just holding her was almost too much to bear, but sharing a bed with her was completely different. He knew that it had taken a lot for Sue to ask him if she could stay. He also knew that she was showing how just how much she trusted him.

Returning to the bedroom after several minutes, he found her changed and already in bed, the covers up to her waist. He smiled as he saw she was wearing the hockey jersey he’d bought her and his briefly closed his eyes to try and rid his mind of the images it was conjuring up. Opening them, he walked over to her to the bed and pulled the covers to one side, slipping in besides her. Holding out his arm to her, she moved straight over to him and snuggled into his chest, her one arm resting across his stomach, the other resting lightly on his thigh. Placing a soft kiss in her hair, he felt her smile against his chest.

“Goodnight Jack.”
“Goodnight Sue. Sweet dreams.”

No comments:

Post a Comment