3 November 2011

Hear No Evil - Chapter 47


After finishing with Price, Jack joined Sue outside the interrogation room that housed Ms Casey. Squeezing her hand for encouragement, he watched as she took a breath and nodded as Jack opened the door and they stepped inside. Ms Casey stood as they walked in.

“Agent Hudson, Sue. Why have I been bought here? What is going on?” She asked them as they took their seats opposite her, waiting until she took her seat.
“Ms Casey, thank you for coming in.” Jack said, knowing that the only way he was going to find out how much she knew was to be direct with her. “We have your son in custody. He is facing charges of kidnap, assault and murder.”

Jack kept his gaze fixed on her face, amazed that her expression didn’t change at all considering she’d just been given the news that her son was probably facing life in prison.

“Ms Casey, why didn’t you tell us that you thought your son could be involved with these kidnappings?” Sue asked.
“I didn’t know for sure that he was involved. I hoped he wasn’t. I haven’t had anything to do with my son since he got sent to prison for attacking those young girls. I didn’t even suspect he could be involved until you came to see me. I know that he blamed the girls for keeping me away from him. When I realised that I had taught all of the girls at one time or another, I began to think that it might have been him. I guess I didn’t want to believe it.”
“It was him who you protected all those years ago wasn’t it. When those parents complained about a boy pestering their daughters?” Jack asked her, seeing her expression soften as she looked at her hands.
“I thought it might have been. I asked him about it and he said that all he had done was say hello to them. He said he would stop if it upset them and I believed him. I guess I was being a little too naïve. Maybe if I had kept a closer eye on him, none of these awful things would have happened.”

No comments:

Post a Comment